My paintings are a result of inspiration from the natural world. I often go outside to be with nature and paint the amazing beauty out. In Plein Air, I can see the brilliant sun light illuminating the landscape. The illuminated elements verses the dark shadows create a dialog of rich colors, textures and values. In my art work you can see the immediacy of brush work and energy needed to complete painting in the changing and challenging conditions of painting on location.
Later in my art studio some of these paintings will actually be my inspiration to start another paint but a more refined. There I can pick from watercolor, oils or pastels to refine my images in a more controlled environment.
Creating art is so exciting and enriching, I often want to share this love through teaching classes and workshops and free outdoor painting events. I believe there is an artist in everyone, we just have to awaken the passion.
About the Artist
Nancy Lewis is an artist who combines her love for the great outdoors, traveling and painting. Painting outside in the fresh air is her passion and inspirations for most of her images. With bold brushstrokes, dynamic values and a unique approach to color use, Lewis’ creations invite the viewer into her expressive art.
Nancy Lewis actively participates in plein air events and exhibits her art in local, regional and national shows. In. She participated in the 2015 Zion and 2016 Cedar Breaks invitational plein air. She won 2015 Colorado Winefest poster competition. In 2012 she was the first Artist-in-Residence program at the Escalante Grand Staircase National Monument. In 2014, she led workshops at the Escalante Canyon Art festival, and Driggs Plein Air Festival and was selected as a judge for this show. She has taught at Colorado Mesa University, Arapahoe Community College and the Colorado Institute of Art. She currently teaches art and workshops in watercolors, oils and pastels to individuals and group classes.
She is a Signature member of the national Western Colorado Watercolor Society, Pastel Society of Colorado, Plein Air Artist Colorado, Brush and Palette Club, Palisade Art Lovers. She is the Western Slope Paint out coordinator for Plein Air Artist Colorado. Her Oil, Pastel and Watercolor paintings can be seen and purchased at the Blue Pig Gallery, Palisade, Colorado and the Artisans Gallery in Cedar City, Utah as well as online at NancyLewisArt.com
Recent shows, exhibits, and awards
- Rockville Bridge invitational
- Rockies West National 2017 Juried Exhibit
- Alpine Holiday show – 3rd place, purchase award and merchant award
- Cedar Breaks Arts Afire Invitational
- Meek Plein Air – 3rd Place
- Moab Art Gallery - Featured Artist
- Moab Plein air festival– Honorable Mention
- Plein Air Artist Colorado 2017 Juried Show
- Colorado Pastel Society – Mile High Juried show
- Winner of the 2015 Colorado Winefest Poster competition
- Zion Plein Air Invitational
- Brush and Palette – 2nd Place Award
- Colorado Pastel Society – Honorable Mention
- International Pastel Associate Society Juried Exhibit.
- Fruit Civic Center – one person show
- Rockies West National Watercolor– Achieved Signature Membership
- Escalante Canyon Art Festival – Pastel Merit award
- Moab Plein Air Quick Draw award – 3rd place
- Moab Plein Air – Outstanding Pastel Award
- Escalante Canyon Art Festival – Pastel Merit Award
- Palisade Art Lovers Peach Blossom Art Show – Honorable Mention
- Western Colorado Art Center – 3rd place in the Professional Level
- Carbondale Plein Air Festival - Artist choice Award.
- Palisade Art lovers – Fruit and wine award -1st Place
- Moab Plein Air – Honorable Mention award
- Grand Staircase Escalante/Escalante Canyon Art Festival – Artist-In-Residence
- Inspired To Heal – Purchase Award – Valley View Hospital
- Palisade Art Lovers Peach Blossom Art Show – 1st Place.
- Western Colorado Watercolor Society – National Juried Show
- Moab Plein Air – Outstanding Award in Pastel
- 48th Fall Art Festival - Glenwood Springs Art Guild– Ribbon - 1st Place
- Moab Plein Air Festival – Special Award in Pastel